Please email your comments & questions to geovisual at comcast.net. Thank you.

Peace Monuments
Dedicated in 1994

Right click image to enlarge.

G
A
R
D
E
N
April 1, 1994 - Fourth International Peace Garden, Budapest (Hungary). One of many International Peace Gardens in different countries. Presented to Budapest by Berlin (Germany).

B
R
I
D
G
E
April 8, 1994 - Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, Mekong River (Thailand & Laos). Connects Nong Khai (Thailand) & Vientiane (Laos). "With a length of 1,170 m, the bridge has two 3.5 m-wide road lanes, two 1.5 m-wide footpaths and a single metre gauge railway line in the middle, straddling the narrow central reservation."


G
A
R
D
E
N
April 17, 1994 - Third International Peace Garden, Berlin (Germany). One of many International Peace Gardens in different countries. Presented to Berlin by Warsaw (Poland).


D
O
O
R
April 17, 1994 - Peace Door, World Plaza, Independence Temple, Community of Christ, Independence, Missouri (USA). In 1874, the Community of Christ adopted as its official seal a lion and lamb led by a child with the words "Peace" underneath. Every day at 1:30 pm, a Prayer for Peace is held in the temple. The Community of Christ International Peace Award has been bestowed annually since 1993 (except 1996).

T
R
E
E
May 5, 1994 - Small oak commemorating the "hope for peace," Clairière de l'Armistice / Glade of the Armistice, Forêt de Compiègne, Oise (France). Dug up from the destruction site in Crawinkel (Germany) & transplanted to Compiègne. Caption of upper image: "Hitler (hand on side) & German Military officers staring at WW-I French marshall Maréchal Foch's memorial statue before entering the railway carriage where will be signed the armistice of June 21, 1940." After the Armistice, German forces took numerous memorials from the forest as prizes to Crawinkel. These included the actual railway carriage where both armistices were concluded. In 1945, the car was dynamited and its pieces buried. Since German reunification in 1989, numerous artifacts have been recovered & returned to France. On 7 May 2005 the historic site in Crawinkel was dedicated. Caption of lower image: "Au milieu la dalle monumentale, à gauche l'emplacement où se trouvait le wagon-salon du maréchal Foch, ou furent signés les deux armistices. Au fond, l'allée qui mène à la route et au monument des Alsaciens-Lorrains."


May 15, 1994 - Conscientious Objectors Stone, Tavistock Square, London (England). Solid rock of grey Cumbrian slate. Next to Gandhi statue (qv). Dedicated on Conscientious Objectors Day. One of 21 peace monuments named by the PPU website. Named in "A Peace Trail Through London" by Valerie Flessati (1998).


May 1994 - Friendship Gate, Vladivostok (Russia). Other Pacific Rim Parks are in San Diego (USA), Tijuana (Mexico) & Yantai (China).


1994 - International Peace Garden, Strasbourg (France). One of many International Peace Gardens in different countries. Presented to Strasbourg by Budapest (Hungary).

1994 - "Urban Peace Circle," Sam Smith Park, Seatle, Washington (USA). By Seattle sculptor Gerard Tsutakawa. Dedicated to children killed by gun violence in Seattle’s inner city.

S
T
A
T
U
E
1994 - Underground Railroad Memorial, near W.K. Kellogg Manor House, off of West Van Buren Street, Battle Creek, Michigan (USA). "The nation's largest monument to the Underground Railroad. The 28 foot long & 14 foot high bronze statue was made possible by the generosity of the WK Kellogg Foundation & Glenn A. Cross Estate. The lovely park like setting with flower-lined pathways showcases the beauty of the statue. A information kiosk is on site to provide information. Honors the men & women who operated the Underground Railroad. Foremost figures are Harriet Tubman [1822-1913] & Quaker Erastus Hussey [1800-1889], a local "conductor" of the Underground Railroad. (Sarah Hussey is one of the figures on the side of the memorial.) Harriet Tubman never came to Battle Creek." /// See paper by Anthony Patrick Glesner (1995).


1994 - "May We Have Peace," National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC (USA). 11-foot bronze statue by Native American artist Allan Houser [1914-1994]. Features a Chiricahua Apache man with a peace pipe. "Temporarily installed at the residence of Vice President & Mrs. Al Gore in 1994." Then stored at the Smithsonian collections facility in Suitland, Maryland (right image) before the museum opened on September 21, 2004. Duplicate of a statue at Oklahoma University, Norman, Oklahoma (qv).

1994 - Peace Mural, Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado (USA). "Depicts all of the children of the world taking the weapons from each country on earth and giving them to a central figure...who has this iron fist and anvil in his hand that is totally out of proportion to the child's body, beating the swords into plowshares."

1994 - Sakai City Peace & Human Rights Museum (Phoenix Museum), Sakai City Education & Cultural Centre (Sophia Sakai Planatarium), 1426 Shimizucho, Fukaishimizu-cho, Naka-ku, Sakai City, Osaka Prefecture (Japan). Celebrates Sakai City's Declaration for Protecting Human Rights (1980) & Non-Nuclear Peace Declaration (1983).

1994 - Peace Thrones, below Sauder Visual Arts Center near Riley Creek, Bluffton University, Bluffton, Ohio (USA). Created by B. Amore & Woody Dorsey. Stone seats for conversation or meditation. "Based on legends found in many cultures, the three large granite rocks create a neutral space to foster dialogue and listening in an effort to resolve conflict through dialogue without resorting to violence." Image scanned from university brochure.


1994-2005 - Prairie Peace Park, Seward, Nebraska (USA) -- 7 miles west of Lincoln on Interstate Highway 80 (exit 388). Peace museum primarily for children, created and owned by Don Tilley. Closed in 2005, but some of its outdoor displays remain. Included 16 sculptures of Sadako Sasaki. Entry #582 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).

S
T
A
T
U
E
1994 - Underground Railroad Memorial, near W.K. Kellogg Manor House, off of West Van Buren Street, Battle Creek, Michigan (USA). "The nation's largest monument to the Underground Railroad. The 28 foot long & 14 foot high bronze statue was made possible by the generosity of the WK Kellogg Foundation & Glenn A. Cross Estate. By sculptor Ed Dwight. The lovely park like setting with flower-lined pathways showcases the beauty of the statue. A information kiosk is on site to provide information. Honors the men & women who operated the Underground Railroad, specifically Harriet Tubman [1822-1913] and Erastus & Sarah Hussey. The latter were local conductors of the Underground Railroad. Harriet Tubman never came to Battle Creek."


S
C
H
O
O
L
1994 - Schulschiff / Training Ship, Bundesgymnasium und Bundesrealgymnasium 'Bertha von Suttner' (GRG 21), anchored in the Danube River, Vienna (Austria). "Two boats with 36 classrooms and administrative offices. The gym is located on a third float." Named for Baroness Bertha von Suttner [1843-1914] who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1905. The Donauturm / Danube Tower & Vienna International City (VIC) are visible in the backround of the image.

1994 - Jin Do No Oka / Hill of Humanity Park, Yaotsu-cho, Kamo-gun, Gifu Prefecture (Japan). A memorial to Shiune Sugihara [1900-1986], a Japanese diplomat who helped thousands of Jews leave the Soviet Union while serving as consul of the Empire of Japan in Lithuania. Across the street from the museum.

1994 - World Wall for Peace (WWFP), Fruitvale Rapid Transit Station (BART), Oakland California (USA). 3500 tiles. Entry #98 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).

1994 - Centre Mondial de la Paix, des libertés et des droits de l'Homme / World Centre for Peace, Freedom & Human Rights, Palais Épiscopal, Verdun, Lorraine (France). Implanté dans le superbe palais épiscopal dessiné en 1723 par Robert de Cotte, premier architecte du roi, et classé monument historique, il délivre une note d'espérance à Verdun, aujourd'hui 'Capitale Mondiale de la Paix.'"


September 5, 1994 - Protestantendenkmal / Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation, Salzburger Park, Savannah, Georgia (USA). Between Lincoln Street & Abercorn Street ramps on Bay Street. "Dedicated by the country (predominantly Roman Catholic) to the descendants of the Georgia Salzburgers (Protestants) who were exiled in 1731 from Salzburg because of their religious beliefs. Green serpentine stone from the Hohe Tauern region of Austria. Human figures chiseled by Anton Thuswaldner depict the people forced from their homes in Salzburg. Inscribed, "Denied Their Religious Freedom They Were Forced to Leave Their Homeland." The first monument to be given to Savannah by a foreign government.


October 2, 1994 - Pacifist Memorial, Peace Abbey, Sherborn, Massachsetts (USA). Six radiating brick walls surrounding a statue of Mahatma Gandhi by Ludo Goudjabidze. The walls contain the names of and quotations from famous pacifists. Dedcated on 125th anniversary of Gandhi's birth. Entry #471 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).


November 23, 1994 - Sakima Art Museum, Ginowan City, Okinawa (Japan). - Founded by Michio Sakima "to convey the truth of war using the power of art." Overlooks US Marine Corps Air Station Futenma. "has the largest collection of Kaethe Kollwitz art work in Japan, and possibly outside Germany." Also features works by Georges-Henri Rouault, Toshi & Iri Maruki, and Makoto Ueno. Right image shows "Battle of Okinawa" painted Toshi & Iri Maruki in 1984.


December 10, 1994 - World Peace Bell, Quezon Memorial Park, Quezon Memorial Circle, Quezon City (Phillippines). Inaugurated at dawn on Human Rights Day by President Ramos. One of 20 WPB's placed in 16 different countries by the World Peace Bell Association (WPBA) of Tokyo (Japan).

Please email your comments & questions to geovisual at comcast.net. Thank you.

Return to Peace Monuments main page.