Peace Monuments Depicting Angels
Click here for "images of the goddess justice." (Equivalent list for the godeess of peace?)
See below for special section on "SunSweep" by David Barr.
Right click image to enlarge.
1793 - "Goddess of Peace," Quadriga, Brandenburger Tor / Brandenburg Gate, Berlin (Germany). Interpretation changed after the German victory over France in 1814 when the woman became Victoria, the goddess of Victory by adding a Prussian eagle on an iron cross to her ensemble. Changed again to a symbol of the Third Reich when the Nazis reached power.
1873 - "Angel of the Waters," Bethesda Fountain, Central Park, New York City, New York (USA). Sculpted by Emma Stebbins [1815-1882], the first woman to receive a commission for a major work of art in New York City. "The definitive crown jewel of Central Park. One of the most famous and universally loved fountains in the world. The only sculpture commissioned as part of the original design of the Park. Symbolizes and celebrates the purifying of the city’s water supply when the Croton Aqueduct opened in 1842 bringing fresh water to all New Yorkers. For this reason she carries a lily, the symbol of purity in one hand while her other hand extends outward as she blesses the water below. The idea comes from the Gospel of Saint John, Chapter 5, the story of an angel bestowing healing powers on the Pool of Bethesda in Jerusalem. Beneath the eight-foot gilded bronze statue are four smaller four-foot figures symbolizing Temperance, Purity, Health, and Peace."
1887 - Angel of Peace, Soldiers & Sailors Monument, East Rock, New Haven, Connecticut (USA). A Civil War peace monument.
July 16, 1899 - Friedensengel / Angel of Peace, on opposite side of Luitpoldbrücke over Isar River, Munich, Bavaria (Germany). Celebrates 25 years of peace since war with France 1870-71. Erected 1896-99 by sculptors Heinrich Duell, Georg Pezold & Max Heilmaier. "Rising above the terraces in the axis of the Prinzregentenstrasse is the 38-metre 'Angel of Peace,' which is the dominant feature of the park and is often regarded as a symbol of Munich. Created to mark the 25 years of peace after the 1871 Treaty of Versailles, it is mounted on a 23-metre column above a small hall, and is modelled on Athena, goddess of wisdom and peace, but also goddess of 'strategic' war. She holds Nike in her hand, the goddess of victory. The Friedensengel provides a spectacular view of the city, and is sited above a superb terrace, which is unfortunately marred by heavy traffic." Lower left image shows temple at the base of the column. Lower right imges show Prinzregentenbrücke / Prinzregenten Bridge over the Isar (1900-01, architect: Theodor Fischer).
1900? - Peace Angel, St. Gregory's Church, Vale of Lune, about 1.5 miles (2 km) west of Sedbergh, Cumbria (England). "The church contains amongst others, three beautiful William Morris designed stained glass windows, beautifully placed to make full use of the light airy interior of the church. 'Peace' is perhaps the best placed of the three, sitting as it does in the north wall of the church. It is plainly visible from the far South end of the church, and if the light hits it just right, it lights the porch up." Information courtesy of Gerard Lössbroek (Pax Christi).
1905 - Angel of Peace, George Robert White Memorial, Boston, Massachusetts (USA). Sculpted by Daniel Chester French [1850-1931]. George Robert White [1847-1922] was "a well known Boston philanthropist who made his fortune with the Weeks & Potter Drug Company." French created many famous memorials, including the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.
1910 - Figure of Peace, Royal Artillery Boer War Memorial, London, (England). "The main statue, a female winged figure of peace, is calming a horse representing the spirit of war. The relief on the base includes images of the army in action, but nothing about the monument refers to the devastation and horror of the Boer War in South Africa. The narrative is selective and its message is clear: the Royal Artillery brought peace to the region. The nuances of the truth are unimportant."
1910 - Angel de la Independencia / Angel of Independence, Paseo de la Reforma, Mexico City (Mexico). Commemorates the centennial of the beginning of Mexico's War of Independence [1910-1921]. One of the most recognizable landmarks in Mexico City. A focal point for both celebrations and protests. A lampera votiva / eternal flame (installed in 1929) burns in honor of the principal heroes whose remains are interred within. Base contains bronze sculptures symbolizing Law, War, Justice and Peace. The main face is a bronze statue of a giant lion led by a child representing strength and the innocence of youth during War but docility during Peace.
October 1911 - Peace Monument to "The Old Guard," 14th Street Entrance, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, Georgia (USA). "Commemorates the historic 'Mission of Peace' to the North in 1879 by the Gate City Guard of Atlanta." Depicts a Civil War soldier lowering his rifle as the Angel of Peace holds an olive branch above his head.
c.1911 - King Edward VII Memorial (aka Angel of Peace), Parade Gardens, Bath, Somerset (England). To the east of Bath Abbey. Outside the Bath rugby stadium. Erected at present site, c.1933. N.A. Irent, sculptor. "Commemorates King Edward VII's diplomatic tactics in Europe, particularly with his cousin the Kaiser in Germany, and his establishment of an entente cordiale with France. The memorial is by N. A. Irent, and was moved to its current site from Milsom Street in 1933. Many similar versions of this statue, known as 'The Peacemaker,' can be found in public parks & squares all over the country." /// "Not a good idea, using copper for a statue, as it stains the stonework green. The imposing building in the background is a hotel."
1912 - "Angel of Peace Descending on the Chariot of War," Quadriga, Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corder, London (England). "By Adrian Jones [1845-1938]. The face of the charioteer leading the quadriga is that of a small boy (actually the son of Lord Michelham, the man who funded the sculpture). The largest bronze sculpture in Europe." Replaced Matthew Cotes Wyatt's gigantic equestrian statue of Wellington that was taken down and not replaced when the arch moved from its first location opposite Apsley House to Hyde Park Corner in 1882-83.
October 12, 1912 - Peace Statue, Kings Road, Brighton/Hove (England). Depicts the Angel of Peace. Unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk. Commemorates King Edward VII [1841-1910] of England for bringing about peace between Argentina & Chile in 1902. See the 1904 statue Cristo Redentor de los Andes / Christ of the Andes in Uspallata Pass of the Andes Mountains between Argentina & Chile. Click here for information about a proposal to add new monuments to the Brighton/Hove seaside.
October 1, 1914 - Edward VII Monument, Phillips Square, Montreal, Quebec (Canada). Sculpted by Louis-Philippe Hébert [1850-1917]. "'Lady of Peace' at the base of the monument bears a branch of olive & sword. "Four allegorical figures - Peace, Four Nations, Abundance & Liberty - sit at the base of the monument. Peace, the woman at the front holding the olive branch, keeps a sword hidden in the folds of her skirt, just in case. Four Nations, the western group, represents Montreal’s four founding nationalities - French, Scots, Irish & English - living together in harmony. At the back of the monument, Winged Genius, represents Liberty. The angel has broken the shackles of religious prejudice & persecution and is a reminder that during the king’s reign he extended respect & dignity to all his subjects around the world, regardless of race, colour or creed. And the eastern face, Abundance, represents Canada's material prosperity." King Edward VII [1841-1910] "fostered good relations between the UK & other European countries, especially France, for which he was popularly called 'Peacemaker,' but his relationship with his nephew, Wilhelm II of Germany, was poor. Edward presciently suspected that Wilhelm would precipitate a war, and four years after Edward's death, World War I brought an end to the Edwardian way of life."
About 1920 -Memorial for Edith Cavell [1865-1915] & Marie Depage [1872-1915], Clinique Edith Cavell / Kliniek Edith Cavell, Edith Cavell Inter-Regional Hospital Centre (CHIREC), rue Edith Cavell 32, Uccle / Ukkel, Brussels (Belgium). Depicts two alegorical figures, one of whom is winged. Erected just after World War I for two female martyrs of the war. Still stands in front the successor institution (lower two images). Click here for more monuments for Edith Cavell.
1921 - "Victory With Peace" Statue, Freedom Square, Bushwick, Myrtle & Willoughby Avenues, Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City, New York (USA). Square named in 1919. Monument depicts Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory, leaning forward with an olive branch, the symbol of peace. Memorializes Brooklyn’s losses during World War I. Sculpted by Pietro Montana [1890-1978]. The face of Nike was modeled after Claudia Deloney, a Hollywood actress and friend of film star Gloria Swanson.
Date? - Angel of Peace, New Zealand Monument, "Le Jardin des Souvenirs", Le Quesnoy (France). "A bit further on, set right into one of the vast rampart walls, there was a large memorial sculpture. This may be a little hard to make out on the photo, but on the left in English it says: "In honor of the men of New Zealand, through whose valor, the town of Le Quesnoy was restored to France 4th November 1918." The bas relief depicts men climbing the fortified walls of the city and going over the top. Carved into the wall on the area where this could be viewed from were the solemn words: FROM THE UTTERMOST ENDS OF THE EARTH."
May 30, 1922 - Murals "Emancipation of a Race" & "Unification," Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC (USA). By Jules Guerin [1866-1946]. Respectively above the texts of the Gettysburg Address and the Second Inaugural Address.
1923 - Peace Monument, Capitol Grounds, Columbus, Ohio (USA). Includes two bronze plaques -- one for soldiers and one for those on the home front: "Men win glory in the fierce heat of conflict but the glory of woman is more hardly won. Upon her falls the burden of maintaining the family and the home, nursing the sick and wounded, and restoring the courage of the broken. She endures the suspense of battle without its exaltation. The memorial is erected in grateful tribute to the loyal women of 61-65, without whose help no victory or lasting peace could ever have been won." Image and inscription are from two different web sites. Do they match?
1924 - Civil War Nurses, M Street & Rhode Island Avenue, Washington, DC (USA). Bas relief flanked by statues of Patriotism (with shield) & Peace (with wings). Sculpted by Irish sculptor Jerome Connor [1874-1943]. Also called 'The Nuns of the Battlefield.' Inscribed, 'They comforted the dying, nursed the wounded, carried hope to the imprisoned, gave in His name a drink of water to the thirsty.' Raised by the Ladies Auxiliary of the Ancient Order of Hibernians (AOH), the memorial was originally designed for Arlington Cemetery, until the War Department objected. It was then proposed for location behind the Pan American Union building ... but the Fine Arts Commission objected to that. Finally, Connor downscaled the size of the memorial and got permission to build it at its present site. Then he had to sue the Ancient Order for payment."
November 11, 1927 - Peace Monument, Battlefield Drive & Granny White Pike, Nashville, Tennessee (USA). Angel of Peace at top. Lower group depicts a youth (the united nation) reigning in two powerful horses (North & South) under a rainbow of peace. Designed by Italian Giuseppe Moretti [1857-1935] most famous for Vulcan in Birmingham, Alabama (1904). Originally dedicated on Armistice Day 1927. Rededicated in 1999 after being moved from original base which was encroached by a modern expressway. The 1927 & 1999 bases are identical with the same three inscriptions: Text #1: "The spirit of youth holds in check the contending forces that struggled here in the fierce Battle of Nashville, December 16th, 1864, sealing forever the bond of union by the blood of our heroic dead of the World War 1917-1918." Text #2 from Ralph Waldo Emerson [1803-1882]: "A monument like this, standing on such memories, having no reference to utilities, becomes a sentiment, a poet, a prophet, an orator, to every passerby." Text #3 is a poem by state librarian John Trotwood Moore [1858-1929]. Entry #934 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).
July 1932 - "Frontiers Unfettered by Any Frowning Fortress," City Hall, 65 Niagara Square, Buffalo, New York (USA). East mural in lobby of Buffalo's gigantic 32-story city hall. By New York City artist William de Leftwich Dodge [1867-1935]. "Depicts Buffalo as an international gateway to Canada. The border of the mural consists of ears of corn & two doves symbolizing peace. The central figure of a woman, Buffalo as the Angel of Peace, holds a warrior under each arm, uniting them with her grasp. One warrior represents the US & the other represents Canada, each clutching their respective flags." Second image shows ceiling with the mural at one end.
"On the left the United States, [is] represented by consumer prosperity. Some details: * Woman wearing 1920’s clothing styles, including cloche hat, boa, high heels, dress and wrap, and carrying purse, another shoe, jewelry and jewelry box, and bolt of fabric * Man wearing shorts and knickers, carrying two model cars (Thomas, 1902-1919, and Pierce-Arrow, 1901-1938, were auto companies prominent in Buffalo’s history). * Farmer with farming tools; woman with treadle sewing machine * Background: City Hall, Niagara Falls & the Peace Bridge."
"On the right Canada is represented by an offering of furs & fisheries. Some details: * Mother with her son who is clutching a book and pointing him toward the United States as the land of opportunity and youth. * Fur trapper, wearing fringed buckskin pants and moccasins, with snow shoe carrying trapped animals. * Man carrying basket of fish. * Native in canoe loaded with green branches * Background: A Canadian city (Fort Erie?) & the Peace Bridge."
Information courtesy of Dave Granville 03July2016.
Date? - Pax, National Assembly, Paris (France). Dedicated to Aristide Briand [1862-1932], several times prime minister of France, who "received the 1926 Nobel Peace Prize together with Gustav Stresemann of Germany for the Locarno Treaties. (Austen Chamberlain of the UK had won a share of the Peace Prize a year earlier for the same agreement.) A 1927 proposal by Briand and US Secretary of State Frank B. Kellogg for a universal pact outlawing war led the following year to the Pact of Paris, aka the Kellogg-Briand Pact."
1944 or later - Chapel, Luxembourg American Cemetery & Memorial, Hamm (Luxembourg). Three miles east of downtown Luxembourg City. "Au-dessus de la porte de la chapelle, une sculpture haute de 7 mètres représente l'ange de la paix, sa main droite levée en signe de bénédiction, la gauche tenant une branche de laurier. Au sommet, une colombe planant sur un nuage, autre signe de paix."
Date? - Unidentified angel monument, Peace Memorial Park?, Hiroshima (Japan). "This statue represents three different religions: Angel's wings for Christianity, the Face of Buddha for Buddhism, and Shinto emblem on belt for Shintoism. It's purpose is to promote peace among all religions." Both images show garlands of origami peace cranes on both sides of the statue. Not on Virtual E-Tour.
1985 - Peace Fountain, Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, Morningside Heights, New York City, New York (USA). By Greg Wyatt, sculptor-in-residence at the Cathedral. "The sculpture depicts the struggle of good and evil, as well as a battle between the Archangel Michael and Satan. The sculpture also contains the Sun, the Moon, and several animals. Although it is called a fountain, there is currently no water on the site." Entry #732 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001). 1985? - Peace Angel, New York Peace Garden, Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, New York City, New York (USA). Inscribed "PAX."
February 16, 1998 - Angel of the North, Gateshead (England). Steel sculpture of an angel, standing 66 feet (20 m) tall, with wings measuring 178 feet (54 m) across — making it wider than the Statue of Liberty's height. Designed by Antony Gormley. Note persons in image under the monument.
1999 - Angel of Peace, St. James Cathedral, Chicago Episcopal Diocese & Plaza, 65 East Huron, Chicago, Illinois (USA). Nine-foot bronze angel by artist William H. Kieffer. Entry #265 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).
After 2004 - "Kind Angel of Peace," Beslan, Pravoberezhny District, Republic of North Ossetia–Alania (Russia). "Architectural and sculptural composition "Kind Angel of Peace" in memory of the victims of the terrorist act at school No. 1 in September 2004." Date? - "Kind Angel of Peace," "Fallen Monument Park," Moscow (Russia). "This park was formerly called Park of the Fallen Heroes. In Russian, the park is either simply named Sculpture Park of the Central House of Artists or referred to by its legal title, Muzeon Park of Arts."
2007 - "Kind Angel of Peace," Park of 850th Anniversary of Moscow, Moscow (Russia). "The tallest world's sculpture "Kind Angel of Peace" with a height of 135 meters will be built on five continents. The environmental organization TERRA VIVA initiated the construction of the first "Angel" 5 years ago to unite all people with the idea of Kindness & Peace. "This idea of uniting people living according the principles of goodness & justice, came on the eve of the third millennium. There is a need to create a unifying moral principle. And so a symbol was created - the "Kind Angel of Peace." The author & chief architect of the international project is the honored Russian artist Peter Stronsky. For the first "Kind Angel of Peace" will come to Europe. It will be constructed on the island of Cyprus. The other four continents have not decided on a place yet. The architectural & monumental "Kind Angel of Peace" will consist of a base with a transparent sphere that is 49 meters high & the figure of an angel standing 86 meters tall. Special illumination will make the work visible even from space. Inside the sculpture there will be a hotel or a concert hall, as well as offices, restaurants, cafes, bars & an observation deck. Experts predict that "Kind Angel of Peace" will attract more than 1 million visitors from around the world in the first year after its creation. After several years, the number of tourists will increase to 3.5 million. According to organizers, this will positively affect the local economy. To date, small sculptural ensembles of the "Kind Angel of Peace" have been installed in 30 cities in Russia & abroad. A "Kind Angel of Peace" monument was unveiled in 2007 in the "Park of 850th Anniversary of Moscow" in the Russian capital."
2007 - Beacon of Hope, Thanksgiving Square, Belfast (Northern Ireland). £300,000 metal sculpture by Scot Andy Scott 19.5 metres high. According to plaque, aims "to bring people together and to change hearts and minds; to make bridges across the divides in our community; to work towards a peaceful, happy existence fo everyone on this planet by respect for each other, their cultural heritages and all our aspirations." Also called "Angel of Thanksgiving," "Nuala with the Hoola," "The Thing with the Ring" & "Bell on the Ball." // Square is modeled on Thanks-Giving Square in Dallas, Texas (USA).
Return to Peace Monuments main page.